Aims and Objectives:
- To promote and facilitate the resettlement and integration of the Bhutanese origin people to the main stream of New Zealand.
- To facilitate and promote a sense of belonging and unity in their new Homeland.
- To facilitate and maintain their distinct Bhutanese-Nepali identity by promoting unity and sense of belonging to their community.
- To apply for funding and to fund raise in variety of ways to pursue the goals of welfare of all ages in various activities like education, sports, religious and cultural activities deemed appropriate.
- To pass on distinct cultural and traditional influences to the younger generation for preservation of their heritage e.g. Customs, language and religion.
- Bring awareness and educate the Bhutanese community of the human right situation and other developments in Bhutan to continuously generate and keep alive the history of their origin and heritage.
- To facilitate and organize the celebration of social and cultural events, including all the festivals and other rites and rituals in harmony by participation of all Bhutanese in Nelson.
- To provide support to individual members and their immediate family members when the society believes the support is practical and appropriate in case of need.
- Advocate on behalf of young people regarding youth issues and youth.
- Carry out other activities consistent with the charitable objects of the Society.
- To help our society to retain their cultural identity by involving them with other ethnic groups and refugee communities of New Zealand and invite local communities to share their cultures while assisting the integrative process between all cultures. Protect our first language by teaching young children at the weekend so our culture is kept alive.
Bhutanese Society of Nelson Inc.
- NGO (non-government organization)
- Registered charity
- Incorporated society
We are very grateful to:
- Donations and grants
- Lottery Grants Board, Dept. internal affairs
- Nelson City Council
- Canterbury Community Trust
- Rata Foundation
- Members contributions
Website designed, build and maintained by Bharat Timsina